Friday, February 18, 2011

Tomayto, Tomahto...

Being English I often find myself pronouncing words differently from Americans. I assure them that it is actually my language, usually to hear the response that there are more Americans than English now, so that makes it THEIR language now. Be that as it may, there are one or two pronunciations that we can all agree on, so please join me in singing the following words to Gershwin's famous melody!

You say Piatto, I say Gelato,
I say Piatto, you say Gelato,
Piatto, Gelato, Gelato, Piatto,
Let's eat the whole thing up!

We both say say Zabaglione and Stracciatella
You say the Passion Fruit, I say Pistachio,
Pistachio, Passione, Passione, Pistachio,
E 'favoloso gelati a prescindere!

For those of you who have not yet been to Trattoria Piatto, there is only one drawback. It is too darn close to the Carlisle House for comfort - or to be more exact, for a comfortably svelte waistline!! The temptation to just drop in there for a quick grilled pizza, glass of red, and the above-mentioned gelati is almost too much to resist! But after a hard day's work moving clawfoot tubs and painting walls, why on earth would I want to resist such a treat?

No comments: